Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a private tour cost?
The price of a driver guided tour with Archie and his vehicle for one day is from £360 depending on the time of year, number of passengers and distance travelled. For a multi-day tour it is from £440 per day which includes the guides accommodation and food. Please contact us if you have any further questions on this and we would be happy to help.
Why choose Uniquely Scotland?
- Personal service is critical to everything we do and we will do what we can to give you the best holiday experience in Scotland. We look to be as flexible and transparent as possible. If you want, we will also try and meet with you at the start of your holiday to go through your itinerary and answer any questions you may have at a location that suits you.
- Itineraries are tailor-made to suit you, based on your interests, time frame and budget.
- A wide range of top quality and unique accommodation options, including country houses, castles and smaller luxurious hotels. These have all been handpicked by us and, indeed, we know a number of owners personally.
- Significant local knowledge and a wide range of contacts throughout Scotland.
- We are flexible and can organise as much or as little of your holiday as you want, our basic package includes the following:
- transport ie driver guide and vehicle (for driver guided tours with Archie), ferry, train or car hire (if required).
- accommodation with breakfast (unless otherwise stated)
- itinerary to suit you
Can you provide a driver and a guide?
Yes. We have a luxurious Peugeot tepee in which we are insured to take small groups of up to 6 people for tours up to 5 days in length. We like to keep our tour groups small to provide an exclusive and personal service with a relaxed and informal feel. Archie, with his vast knowledge of Scotland and numerous local contacts, will be your driver guide for your holiday and can assist with your itinerary planning depending on your interests and requirements. We can be flexible to suit you.
Can the example itineraries on our website be changed?
Yes. We specialise in custom made tours and every itinerary shown on the website can be adjusted to suit your interests. Or you can use these example itineraries to give you some ideas and pass these on to us, and we will design your ideal holiday from scratch.
How do I book a holiday through Uniquely Scotland?
We try to keep the booking procedure as simple as possible, summarised below:
- Your holiday specifications – you can approach us either through our online enquiry form, email or phone.
- Consultation and initial proposal – we will put together a proposal based on your specifications at no charge.
- Booking and deposit – once you are happy with the initial proposal, we will send you an invoice and you simply complete and submit the booking form together with your 20% deposit. We will make all holiday arrangements for you as agreed.
- Payment of balance and full travel documents - following receipt of the remaining balance, we will send you your full travel documents.
- Holiday - enjoy your holiday!
- Your Feedback - Uniquely Scotland would appreciate any feedback you may have to help us develop our product and service.
For more information on our booking procedure, please see our booking procedure page.
How do I pay for my holiday?
You can pay the deposit and balance for your holiday in any of the following ways:
- Bank Transfer - our account details will appear on your invoice once your holiday proposal has been agreed. We request that you settle any bank charges directly with your bank, if they apply. Payment must be made in British pounds sterling (£).
- Credit or Debit Card - whilst we do accept credit cards, we regret that due to bank charges for transactions, we will be obliged to charge a 2.4% surcharge for payments by credit card. We do accept payment by AMEX although there will also be a transaction charge of 2.3% for this. Payments by UK debit cards do not incur any surcharge. You can pay by card through our online booking form.
- Cheque - Please make cheques payable to "Uniquely Scotland". Cheques must be in British pounds sterling (£).
Is my money safe?
In accordance with ''The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992'' all passengers booking with Uniquely Scotland are fully insured for the initial deposit, and subsequently the balance of monies paid as detailed in your booking confirmation form. The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of Uniquely Scotland. This insurance has been arranged by Towergate Chapman Stevens through HCCI International Insurance Company PLC.
Do you arrange other activities and events?
Yes, we can arrange specific activities and events for you as part of a package. These may need to be booked in advanced, for example, a day's fishing, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, a wildlife trip or perhaps a music event. We do, however, suggest that you do not book too many local activities or events in advance to allow for maximum flexibility.
Can Uniquely Scotland create train itineraries for us?
Yes, in fact this is very popular with our clients and often they will do part of the journey by train. We can create an itinerary for you based entirely on train travel if you want. Whilst this provides you with less flexibility than a car, it is a great way to see our beautiful country. We have an agreement with Scotrail and can book your train tickets as part of your package. For more information on this please visit our travel section.
Can Uniquely Scotland organise ferry journeys for us?
Yes, depending on your interests we can organise your ferry tickets, you will receive a reservation number and your tickets will either be sent to you in the post or you can pick them up at the ferry terminal. Your tickets are prepaid by us.
Can Uniquely Scotland book flights?
We do not book flights for our clients.
Why don’t you generally provide the names of your hotels on your website?
We generally don’t provide our accommodation suppliers' names because we spend much time searching for the right accommodation for our clients to provide a friendly, personal experience, that is unique to them and meets our high standards.
We will, however, provide you with more information on your accommodation during the consultation period. You will also receive detailed information about your accommodation, including directions, in your final itinerary.
What quality of accommodation do Uniquely Scotland provide?
Uniquely Scotland hand-pick our accommodation suppliers and visit them personally. We use a broad range of suppliers to meet our clients' preferences. We use small luxury hotels, top quality bed and breakfast and guest house accommodation to give clients a much more personal holiday experience. Our suppliers are generally all 4-5* in rating and, whilst a few of the privately owned properties may not have an official rating, we visit them all and ensure they have been inspected and approved to meet our high standards.
Is my accommodation prepaid for by Uniquely Scotland?
Yes, all accommodation is prepaid for by us and reserved under your name. All you need to do on arrival is quote Uniquely Scotland and your name. Please be aware that any extras such as drinks, lunch and evening meals (unless organised in advance), must be paid for by you on departure. All our itineraries generally include breakfast as part of the package.
Do Uniquely Scotland prepay for our car hire?
Whilst we generally do not pay for your car hire in advance (this is usually done by you when you pick your car up), we will assist you with choosing the car that best suits your requirement at the best possible rate, and will then book the vehicle under your name for you. All you have to do is pay for the car when you pick it up, please remember to bring the correct documentation as shown in the car hire information section below. We have agreements with both Europcar and Enterprise Rent-A-Car (A reputable British firm), and can offer you discounted rates through both of these firms if you wish.
Driving in Scotland
Whilst distances may appear short on maps, due to the nature of Scotland's landscape, it is easy to underestimate the driving time required to get from one point to another. Scotland is fortunate in that many of its roads are very scenic and traffic is relatively low when compared to other international destinations. Important things for overseas visitors to remember when driving in Scotland are:
- vehicles drive on the left-hand side of the road
- a foreign driving licence is valid in the UK for up to 12 months from time of entry into the country
- the speed limit is 30 mph in built up areas, 60 mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual carriageways and motorways
Our itineraries will tend to stick to secondary roads (called "B" roads) and minor (undesignated) roads, as these are generally far more interesting and relaxing.
For more information on driving in Scotland, click here.
Car Hire Information
Please note that if clients decide to book their car hire through Europcar via Uniquely Scotlands Europcar page, UK clients will require their current driving licence with paper counterpart. Overseas clients will require their current driving licence with passport as well as their travel documents ie flight tickets. All parties will require the payment card (if applicable) that they used to pay for the rental when they booked.