ULTIMATE TRAIN TOUR OF SCOTLAND - 14 DAYS
Our 14 day (13 night) ‘Ultimate Train Tour of Scotland’ will take you to a large variety of places in Scotland, ranging from Scotlands rugged west coast and the magical Isle of Skye, to the remote northern Highlands and the dramatic Cairngorm National Park. The tour has been designed to give you 2 night at your accommodation locations where possible to make it less rushed and give you a chance to spend a little more time at these spectacular locations. The itinerary is well suited for those who prefer train travel or are not comfortable driving themselves. Included in the itinerary are a number of spectacular train journeys, including the world-famous ‘West Highland Line’ from Glasgow to Mallaig, the “Kyle Line” from Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness and the ‘Far North Line’ from Inverness to Thurso. The train tour is based on a Glasgow start and Edinburgh finish but we can adjust this to suit you. For more information or to book this itinerary, please contact us.
Prices from: £4,300 GBP (£2,150 per person based on 2 sharing)
- 13 nights in our carefully selected accommodation
- Breakfast every day
- All train tickets, including the ‘West Highland Line’, ‘Kyle Line’ and ‘Far North Line’ with the opportunity to take a trip on the world-famous Jacobite Steam Train from Fort William to Mallaig – subject to availability
- Taxi costs from Armadale Ferry Terminal to your accommodation on Skye and on to Kyle of Lochalsh
- Taxi costs to and from your accommodation in Thurso
- Personalised information package for your tour, including your detailed itinerary and what there is to see and do in each area, depending on your specific interests
- A detailed map, with your route marked and places of interest highlighted, and directions to each accommodation with their contact details
- Consultancy and itinerary planning
- Spectacular “West Highland Railway Line” between Glasgow and Mallaig, via Oban and Fort William
- Loch Lomond
- Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
- Picturesque coastal town of Oban (2 nights)
- Oban whisky distillery
- Dunollie Museum, Castle and Grounds
- Option of a day tour cruise of Mull, Iona and Staffa (Subject to availability)
- Fort William, “the outdoor capital of the UK” (1 night)
- Ben Nevis (UK’s highest mountain at 4,409 ft)
- The world-famous Jacobite Steam Train
- Glenfinnan Monument and Glenfinnan Viaduct
- The magical Isle of Skye (2 nights)
- Cuillin Mountains
- Option of a day tour with a private driver and guide to explore the Isle of Skye (Subject to availability)
- Beautiful “Kyle Line” to Inverness
- The bustling city of Inverness, known as “the capital of the Highlands” (2 nights)
- Option of a day tour from Inverness to visit local attractions such as Culloden Battlefield, Clava Cairns and Loch Ness
- Scenic “Far North” Railway Line to Thurso
- Thurso area, the surf Capital of Scotland (2 nights)
- Option of a day tour to Orkney or to explore Caithness (Subject to availability)
- Inverness (1 night)
- Picturesque Highland town of Pitlochry (1 night)
- Loch Faskally Hydro Electric dam, salmon ladder and viewing window
- The world-famous Gleneagles Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort (2 nights)
- Option to do our “Heart and Soul” or similar day tour from Gleneagles (Subject to availability)
- Option to do one of many country activities at the Gleneagles Resort such as falconry, clay shooting, off road driving, archery and more…
Glasgow – Oban
Distance: 99 miles
Travel Time: 3 hrs 5 mins
Embark for the first stretch of the West Highland Line towards Oban, passing through the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park to Crianlarich before travelling West to Oban.
Accommodation: Luxury hotel or Guest House for 2 nights
You have the day to explore the picturesque coastal village of Oban. If you wish to travel further afield, the Isle of Mull is only a ferry journey away or we can arrange tours to Mull, Staffa and Iona should you wish.
Oban – Fort William
Distance: 105 miles
Travel Time: 3 hrs 55 mins
Re-join the West Highland Line and travel through the spectacular Rannoch Moor, a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest, and on to Fort William, the outdoor Capital of the UK. Weather permitting, you might see the UK’s largest mountain, Ben Nevis, looming over Fort William at 4,409ft.
Accommodation: Small luxury hotel or B&B for 1 night
Fort William – Isle of Skye, via Mallaig
Distance: 41 miles
Travel Time: 1 hr 45 mins
With the possibility of travelling on the world-famous Jacobite Steam Train to Mallaig, well known for its appearance in the Harry Potter film franchise. A truly stunning journey which will include the legendary Glenfinnan Viaduct before arriving in Mallaig where you will catch the ferry ‘over the sea to Skye’.
Accommodation: Small luxury hotel or B&B for 2 nights
You will have a full day on the Isle of Skye to relax or explore the local area by foot or public transport. We can also arrange for a private driver and guide to help you explore the remote and magical Isle of Skye.
Isle of Skye – Inverness, via Kyle of Lochalsh
Distance: 82 miles
Travel Time: 3hrs 10 mins
You will be taken by taxi across the dramatic Skye Bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh where you will journey along the “Kyle Line” to Inverness. Another stunning train journey through a mixture of mountains, Lochs and Glens and then through rolling agricultural farmland to Inverness.
Accommodation: Small luxury hotel, Guest House or B&B for 2 nights
Spend the day exploring or shopping in the Capital of the Highlands, or perhaps travel outside of the city centre to visit the historic Culloden Battlefield, Clava Cairns or take a boat trip on Loch Ness and try spot the famous, yet elusive, “Nessie”. We can organise a day tour from Inverness should you wish.
Inverness - Thurso
Distance: 153 miles
Travel Time: 3hrs 50 mins
Travel on the Far North Line towards Thurso, the surf Capital of Scotland. You will begin to see how wild and remote Scotland truly is as you make your way to the most Northernly station in the UK.
Accommodation: Luxury country house, hotel or B&B for 2 nights
You’ll have a free day to explore Thurso and beyond with the opportunity to take a tour to Orkney for the day or even to see part of Scotland’s answer to “Route 66” – The North Coast 500. You can also use public transport to visit the most Northernly inhabited village in the UK – John O’ Groats.
Thurso - Inverness
Distance: 153 miles
Travel Time: 3hrs 50 mins
Travel back to Inverness for a night, another chance to meet Nessie or buy that wee present you want.
Accommodation: Small luxury hotel, Guest House or B&B for 1 night
Inverness - Pitlochry
Distance: 89 miles
Travel Time: 1hr 40mins
Leaving Inverness, you will take a train journey to the picturesque town of Pitlochry which will take you through part of the Cairngorms National Park and over the Drummochter Summit, one of the highest mountain-passes in the UK.
Accommodation: Luxury Hotel or B&B for 1 night
Pitlochry - Gleneagles
Distance: 44 miles
Travel Time: 55 mins
Leaving the beautiful Pitlochry behind, you will head to the world-famous Gleneagles Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort. Indulge yourself with a lazy day at the Spa or take part in one of many country sports.
Accommodation: 5-Star Gleneagles Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort for 2 nights
A whole day to relax and pamper yourself at the luxurious Gleneagles, unless you want to play a round of golf or subject to availability take a tour with Uniquely Scotland (we are based only 20 minutes away!) around the heart of Scotland, let us know and we can advise further.
Gleneagles - Edinburgh
Distance: 53 miles
Travel Time: 1hr 45 mins
All good things come to an end, the last day of the itinerary takes you through Stirlingshire and in below the famous Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument and on towards the Capital city of Scotland – Edinburgh.
NB extras such as visitor attraction tickets, lunch and dinner are not included in the price although we can advise you further on this you wish. This itinerary is only a guide and can be adjusted to suit your interests.
For further information or to book a holiday with Uniquely Scotland, please contact us